Monday, March 18, 2019

1972 Gottlieb World Series Pinball Machine Backglass Restoration

1972 Gottlieb World Series Pinball Machine Backglass Restoration

This post will document the restoration of the backglass. I will write two other posts about this machine. One will be about restoring the cabinet and the other will be about restoring the playfield.

 The backglass on this machine has some major flaking in some areas. Mostly the skin colored areas and the light blue areas of the uniform.



 Here you can see the flaking more clearly. The paint is very loose on the glass and any movement causes more flakes of paint to fly off. You can probably see some paint flakes on the back panel below.


 Here I have scraped the remaining paint chips off of the blue and skin color sections in preparation for repainting those areas.




 Here you can see that before I scraped away the paint on the face, I traced the black lines on the front of the glass with a super fine tip sharpie pen. The pen can be removed with alcohol after, but will first serve as markers for the new paint on the back of the glass.


 Here I have masked off the blue section. I prefer to use Frog tape instead of frisket. The friskets I have tried always leave paint bleed.


 Here is the finished blue. The black was put down first. You can see in this picture that some of the black lifted with the tape, so I had to redo those sections.
 Here is the finished back side of the glass. I finished the skin color, touched up several spots on the rest of the glass. I backed the touched up spots with black, then with grey paint to match the rest of the glass. It was then sealed with Triple Thick by Krylon to be sure there will never be flaking paint again.

The glass didn't come out perfectly, but is much better than what we started with.

No comments:

Post a Comment